New York, NY
Gizmodo Media Group is looking for a Staff Illustrator/Designer to join our editorial art department. This person will be part of a team responsible for creating illustrations and designs for the GMG network of sites. They will be working on behalf of some of the most iconic sites in publishing like Gizmodo, Deadspin, Jezebel, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jalopnik, Splinter, The Root, and more. Since this job is an editorial position, you should recognize our voice, tone, and sense of humor. This is a full-time position, based out of our headquarters in New York City.
About the Company:
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Earther, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik and The Root. As part of Fusion Media Group, we reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a minimum of 2 years experience in an editorial arts team or freelance graphic design
- Is an artist who is well read—basically a news junkie who is culturally and politically literate, and is familiar with GMG and its sites
- Has a keen sense of satire -- you can read a post, conceptualize interesting visual solutions, and execute an image that will make that post better—within hours
- Has experience with editorial illustration
- Design/infographics experience a big plus
- Has experience with logo and branding design
- Is able to work in a fast-paced environment, can create multiple images a day, and is willing to take on a large variety of subjects related to our network of sites.
- Has expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and creating images digitally
- Is able to multitask and meet deadlines
GMG and its parent, Univision, are deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is in the WGA-E bargaining unit.