Deputy Editor, Jezebel
New York, NY
Gizmodo Media Group (GMG), which is part of Univision's digital arm, is seeking an experienced editor to serve as deputy editor of its women-centered politics and culture site, Jezebel, which reaches some 14 million monthly readers globally.
About the Company:
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Deadspin, Jalopnik, Jezebel, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Splinter, and The Root. We reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans.
About the Role:
Applicants should have an innate understanding of the topics Jezebel covers and a strong familiarity with its archives, along with an unquenchable enthusiasm for the site’s ambitious future. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in assigning a wide range of stories, managing a daily and monthly publishing schedule, and editing longform features, reported pieces, and thoughtful responses to breaking news.
Applicants should be fluent in the digital editorial process, including video, podcasts, and social platforms. Your talents will be editorial and managerial, and you should be comfortable overseeing Jezebel alone at any given time. You should bring rigorous and fearless ideas about what Jezebel should accomplish in a rapidly shifting new era of feminism, and the experience to execute those ideas.
The ideal candidate will be ready and excited to work with editors and writers in a uniquely collaborative work environment.
As Deputy Editor, you should:
- have experience managing writers;
- be comfortable overseeing a growing staff of ~15 in day-to-day site operations, including assigning, editing, and publishing stories;
- respond nimbly to cultural and news events in a unique voice;
- have significant experience writing and editing for a fast-paced digital news outlet with a diverse audience;
- know how to motivate a team;
- assist the editor-in-chief in thinking big-picture about the site’s vision, and help execute said vision across multiple platforms;
- be organized and detail-oriented;
- be ambitious about Jezebel's growth in both output and audience.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter about why you’re the right fit for the job and answers to the questions below.
GMG and its parent, Univision, are deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
The deputy editor will report to the editor-in-chief. This position is in the WGA-E bargaining unit.